Try this spinach tart recipe – it’s an excellently delicious option for lunch or dinner, no matter the season!
Note: This is adapted from a recipe that Paul McCartney included in his Meat Free Monday Cookbook, as it appeared in the April 16, 2012 of People.
- Pie dough, preferably freshly made as opposed to frozen.
- 9 ounces of baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 heaping cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- The oven should be preheated to 400 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a 9-inch tart pan with the pie dough.
- Place the newly-lined tart pan in the oven, allowing the dough to bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a sauté pan, gently cook the spinach with 2 tablespoons of the butter, until the spinach is wilted.
- Drain the spinach, chop it finely, and set it aside.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of butter and the onion together, until the onions become soft.
- Re-introduce the spinach, and mix it in with the butter and the onion.
- Spread the completed mixture evenly across the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a food processor, pulse the cheddar cheese, egg yolks, cream, whole eggs, mustard, salt, and pepper together.
- Pour this mixture over that bottom spinach and onion layer, and place this now-filled tart pan into the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top of the tart appears golden.
- Turn off the heat and allow the tart to remain in the oven for an additional 5 minutes before serving.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.