For a unique, refreshing take on a salsa that can be placed on the meat, fish, or poultry of your choice, try this grilled watermelon salsa recipe!
Note: this recipe is adapted from one by Chef Jon Ashton, as it appeared in the June 2, 2019 issue of Parade.
- 1 ½ lb of watermelon
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground chili powder
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup of chopped cucumber
- 1 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of chopped red onion
- Half of a jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Cut the watermelon into slices that are about ¾ of an inch thick apiece.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon of ground chili powder together in a small bowl.
- Brush the olive oil and chili powder mixture on both sides of each watermelon slice, then sprinkle on some kosher salt.
- Grill the watermelon slices for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until grill marks noticeably form.
- Transfer the grilled watermelon slices to a cutting board, and when they’re cool, remove the seeds and the rinds, and chop the fruit itself.
- Combine 1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes, the chopped watermelon, and ½ cup of chopped cucumber in a large bowl.
- Slowly add in 1 tablespoon of red onion, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, ½ of a chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- Refrigerate the entire mixture to allow the flavors time to meld.
- Season the mixture with a little salt and pepper just prior to serving.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.