Fabulous Freelancer Foodie Recipe: Buttermilk Spoonbread
Whether it’s beef, chicken, or soup, this buttermilk spoonbread recipe is a welcome addition to any meal!
Note: adapted from a recipe that appeared in an issue of Relish.
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ¾ teaspoons of salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Make sure the oven has been preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter the sides and the bottom of a 4-cup souffle dish or casserole dish.
- Warm the buttermilk in a saucepan over medium heat and stir in the cornmeal.
- Continue to stir often for about 3 minutes until the mixture has reached a smooth and thick consistency.
- Stir in the salt and the butter, then allow the mixture to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the mixture, following that with the green onions, stirring thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form. Add them to the cornmeal mixture a little at a time, folding gently to avoid deflation.
- Pour the completed mixture into a the buttered pan, using a spatula to retrieve any excess from the saucepan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until it’s puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately thereafter.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.