If you’re looking for a hearty addition to a stew or salad, try this steamed brown bread recipe!
Note: this recipe is a variation of one found in Betty Crocker’s Cookbook.
- 1 cup of flour (not self-rising)
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- ¾ cup of molasses
- Grease four 16-ounce cans.
- Place all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl (preferably large).
- Beat the ingredients together for 30 seconds, being sure to regularly scrape the side of the bowl.
- Fill each can to its halfway mark, and cover each of them tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place a rack in a large saucepan with a tightly fitting cover and pour boiling water in until it meets the level of the rack.
- Place the cans on the rack and cover the saucepan.
- Keep the water boiling over low heat to steam the bread for 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each can comes out cleanly. If more water is needed during the steaming, lift the lid and add the boiling water quickly before covering the saucepan again.
- Remove the bread from each can as soon as the steaming is completed, and serve.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.