If you’re looking for a menu item that’s filled with flavor and makes for a unique side dish, then be sure to try this recipe for stuffed oranges!
Note: this recipe is adapted from one found in the 1985 Meredith Corporation cookbook, Good Home Cooking.
- 8 navel oranges of a medium size
- 2 cups of red bell peppers that are thinly sliced
- 2 cups of cold, cooked rice
- ½ cup of chopped scallion tops
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of wine vinegar
- Lettuce is optional
- 5 tablespoons of chopped stuffed green olives
- Cut into the stem end of each orange to scrape out the pulp.
- Keep the pulp and the juice, but discard the seeds.
- Notch the rims of the oranges, then cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator.
- Chop the orange pulp and combine it with the scallions, bell peppers, and rice.
- For the dressing, blend the curry powder with the saved juice from the pulp, the wine vinegar, and the olive oil.
- Stir the dressing mixture into the rice mixture, and let it all sit for an hour.
- Spoon the resulting salad into the orange shells, which can be first lined with lettuce if desired, and use the green olives as garnishes.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links