On its own or paired with a favorite soup, there’s much to love about this healthy roasted kale and broccoli salad with egg-free Caesar dressing and sweet potato croutons recipe!
Note: this an adaptation of a recipe which appeared in the January 29, 2020 edition of The Salem News.
Ingredients for the salad:
- 2 heads of broccoli that have been cut into florets
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of peeled sweet potatoes that have cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 bunches of kale
- ½ cup of shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 2 large, minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 10 white anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the broccoli florets on a 9×13” parchment-lined baking sheet and season them with half of the salt and pepper, as well as 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Toss the florets to make sure they’ve been evenly coated, and spread them out on the sheet in a single layer.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a second baking sheet that’s also lined with parchment paper; season them with the remaining salt and pepper, drizzle them 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- As with the florets, toss the seasoned sweet potato cubes to make sure they’re coated thoroughly, then evenly spread them out.
- Roast the sheets of broccoli florets and sweet potato cubes side by side for 15 minutes, then flip each piece of both over and roast for an additional 5 minutes until edges are golden and crispy.
- Place the lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic cloves, white wine vinegar, anchovy fillets, unsalted butter, Dijon mustard, and ground black pepper in a small food processor and blend them together until the now-dressing reaches a smooth consistency (about 1 minute).
- Add in the olive oil and the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and blend for 1 more minute until the dressing becomes creamy.
- Rinse, dry, and de-stem the kale, then tear it into bite-size pieces.
- Place the kale pieces on a large serving platter and top with 1/3 cup of the dressing, tossing the pieces until they’re thoroughly coated.
- Top with the broccoli and ¼ cup of the dressing, then toss again thoroughly.
- Scatter the sweet potato croutons over the completed salad, and serve with the remaining dressing.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.