This chocolate cookie and crème sandwiches recipe makes for a delightfully sweet snack or dessert in any season!
Note: the original form of this recipe can be found in the cookbook, Hershey’s Chocolate Treasury: A Special Collection from America’s Chocolate Authority.
Ingredients for the cookies:
- ½ cup of shortening
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup milk
Ingredients for the crème filling:
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons of shortening
- ½ marshmallow crème
- ¾ teaspoon of vanilla
- ¾ cup of confectioners’ sugar
- Cream the shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, salt, cocoa, and baking soda.
- Alternate between adding the dry mixture, and the milk, to the creamed mixture until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Drop the completed cookie dough mixture by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake these cookies at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 minutes, or just until the cookies are softly set – be sure not to overbake.
- Allow the cookies to cool for one minute.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and allow them to completely cool on a wire, during which time, prepare the crème filling:
- Cream 2 tablespoons of softened butter or margarine and 2 tablespoons of shortening in a small mixer bowl.
- Gradually beat in ½ cup of marshmallow crème.
- Blend in ¾ teaspoon of vanilla and 2/3 cup of confectioners’ sugar, until the entire mixture reaches a spreading consistency.
- Spread the bottom of one cookie with about 1 tablespoon of the crème filling, then cover it with another cookie to create a sandwich. Repeat this process with each remaining cookie.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.