Rich flavors and hearty portions make this a wonderful, one-stop lunch or dinner!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in the May, 2020 issue of Relish.
- 2 whole chickens that are about 2 ½-3lbs each (giblets must be removed)
- 6 divided tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 divided teaspoons of salt
- 1 divided teaspoon of pepper
- ½ cup of red onion that has been thinly sliced.
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread (about 1lb) that’s been cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 4 small tomatoes that have been cored and cut into wedges
- 1 medium zucchini that has been thinly sliced
- In preparation, preheat an oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto each chicken (the olive oil should be fully absorbed by each one).
- Combine 1 ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon rosemary, and ½ teaspoon parsley in a small bowl.
- Divide the dry mixture so that it’s half for one chicken and half for the other, and coat each chicken thoroughly with the mixture until it’s absorbed.
- Arrange the chickens on a large, rimmed baking sheet that’s been lined with tinfoil or parchment paper.
- Roast the chickens in the oven for about 75 minutes until they’re golden brown and the juices run cleanly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and arrange the sourdough bread pieces around the chicken in its juices.
- Allow the chicken to continue roasting for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread has toasted. Set the completed chicken aside so that it can slightly cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Add in the tomatoes, zucchini, and onion, and toss everything together so that it’s combined well.
- Cut the warm bread into smaller bite-size chunks and toss them with the vegetables.
- Slice the chickens into large pieces and serve with the now-completed salad mixture.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.