Try this cheese and pepper muffins recipe the next time you’re craving healthy breakfast food that pairs elements of a pastry and an omelet!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in the Oxmoor House cookbook, The Low-Fat Way to Cook.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ tablespoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of ground red pepper
- ½ cup of shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- An 8-ounce carton of plain nonfat yogurt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- ½ cup thawed frozen egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, ground red pepper, sharp cheddar cheese, onion, and chopped sweet red pepper.
- Make a well in the center of the mixed ingredients.
- Combine the yogurt, milk, egg substitute, and vegetable oil and add it to the flour mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients become moistened.
- Use a spoon to place the batter into muffin pans coated with the vegetable cooking spray, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or until they are lightly browned.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.