Whether it’s for on-the-go or for as relaxing dessert, this frosted honey bars recipe is the very definition of a sweet treat!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in Land O’ Lakes Country Heritage Cookbook — 100 Treasured Recipes from the Kitchens of Land O’Lakes Farm Families.
Ingredients for the bars:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of melted sweet cream butter
- 1 cup of honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- ¾ cup of chopped walnuts
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- A softened 8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Make sure an oven has been preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all of the bar ingredients except for the carrots and walnuts in a large mixing bowl, beating at a low speed, often scraping the bowl for 1-2 minutes until it all is mixed well.
- Stir in the carrots and walnuts, then pour the overall mixture into a greased 15x10x1” jelly roll pan.
- Bake the mixture for 20-25 minutes, or until the top lightly springs back when it’s touched in the center.
- Allow the mixture to completely cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the frosting in a small mixing bowl, beating at medium speed for 1-2 minutes, regularly scraping the bowl, until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled mixture and cut it into bars of preferred size.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.