Fresh flavors pair with a whole lot of heartiness in this delicious bread soup recipe!
Note: this is an adaptation of a recipe found in The International Sampler Cookbook from Favorite Recipes Press.
- 5 slices of pumpernickel bread
- 1 cup of water
- 3 to 4 cups of apple juice
- 1 cup of raisins
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 pound of peeled and chopped apples
- 1 piece of lemon rind
- Cinnamon to taste
- Parsley (optional)
- Place the pumpernickel bread in a saucepan, fill the saucepan with water, and allow it to soak for about 4 hours.
- Bring this to a boil, whisking the pumpernickel and water mixture until it’s smooth.
- Stir in the apple juice, raisins, sugar, apples, and lemon rind.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat until the apples are just tender (not mushy), garnish with cinnamon, parsley if preferred, then serve.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.