Breakfast? Mid-day snack? Dessert? This butterscotch cereal bars recipe is an all-day treat!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in Betty Crocker’s 110 Cookie Recipes.
- 1 package (6 ounces) of butterscotch chips
- ½ cup of light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 5 cups of toasted oat cereal
- 1 tablespoon of shortening
- 1 package of milk chocolate chips
- Heat the butterscotch chips, light corn syrup, butter/margarine, and vanilla in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the ingredients have melted and the overall mixture is smooth.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the oat cereal until it’s evenly coated.
- Evenly press the mixture into a buttered 9x9x2” square pan.
- Heat the shortening in a small saucepan over low heat until it becomes melted.
- Stir the chocolate chips into the melted shortening.
- Heat the shortening/chocolate chips mixture over low heat until both ingredients are smoothly incorporated.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the cereal mixture and refrigerate it until it reaches a firm consistency (it should take about an hour).
- Remove the now-butterscotch cereal from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before cutting it into bars.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.