This blackberry streusel tart is perfectly paired with vanilla ice cream for an excellent dessert!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in the 8/13/20 edition of The Salem News.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 ½ pints (about 3 cups) of blackberries
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Ingredients for the streusel:
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) of cold, unsalted butter that’s cut into ½-inch pieces
Ingredients for the tart crust:
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 14 tablespoons (7 ounces) of cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Flour for dusting
Directions for the crust:
- Whisk together the egg and 2 tablespoons of the cream in a small bowl.
- Combine the salt, flour, and sugar in a stand mixer’s bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix these ingredients together until they’re combined well.
- Scatter the butter pieces over the top of the mixture and mix on a low speed until the butter pieces are pea-sized.
- Add in the egg and cream mixture at mix at low speed for about 10 seconds.
- Stop the mixer and squeeze a small amount of dough in hand gently.
- If the dough comes together without stray pieces, it has an adequate amount of moisture.
- If the dough is dry, add in another tablespoon of the cream, mix and test again until the dough mostly comes together in a ball.
- Preheat an oven until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line the tart pan with parchment paper and place the dough on top of that.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until the edges of the crust have reached a golden brown color, then allow to cool.
Directions for the filling:
- Combine the blackberries, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar in a bowl.
- Evenly spread the blackberry mixture within the tart crust.
Directions for the streusel:
- Combine, the butter, flour, salt, and brown sugar in a food processor.
- Pulse the food processor until the butter is pea-sized.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the blackberry filling.
- Bake the entire tart at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes until the fruit filling is bubbling and the streusel itself is brown.
- Let the tart cool slightly before serving it warm or just at room temperature.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.