Scrumptiously filling, this bananas foster cornmeal crunch cake is a perfect complement to a favorite cup of tea or coffee!
Note: the original version of this recipe is thought to have appeared in an issue of North Shore Sunday from the early 1990s.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 stick (1 cup) of softened butter
- 1 ½ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup of mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium ones)
- ¼ cup of light or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Whipped cream and banana slices for garnishing
Ingredients for the *streusel topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of sliced almonds
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter.
*Simply mix the ingredients together and set the topping aside until the cake batter is ready.
- Be sure than an oven has been preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 10-inch tube cake pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until the mixture reaches a fluffy consistency.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one goes in.
- Mix in the mashed bananas, rum, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then add it into the batter.
- Pour the completed batter into the greased cake pan, and sprinkle it with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove it from the pan once it has completely cooled, and garnish it with the whipped cream and bananas before serving.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.