As a side dish or a solo snack, this healthy recipe for spinach rice is a worthy addition to any collection of “must makes!”
Note: this recipe is adapted from one found in The Best Traditional Recipes of Greek Cooking: Editions Dimitri Haïtalis.
- 2 ½ lbs of spinach
- 1 ½ teacups of long grain rice that has been washed and strained
- 4 coarsely cut spring onions
- ½ teacup of finely chopped dill
- 2 teacups of olive oil
- 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil.
- Thoroughly wash the spinach, roughly shred it, and add it into the pot with the onions.
- Cook the spinach and the onions over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice, 2 teacups of water, the dill, a dash of salt and pepper, and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve the spinach rice either hot or cold, drizzled with lemon juice.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.