This wonderfully hearty recipe for cabbage casserole is rich in both nutrients and flavor!
Note: this recipe is adapted from one originally found in the cookbook, Italian Casserole Cooking by Angela Catanzaro.
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 cups of chicken bouillon
- 4 thinly sliced and peeled medium potatoes
- ½ cup of raw rice
- Salt and pepper according to preference
- ½ cup of Parmesan cheese
- Wash and shred the cabbage, then set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add in the onion and sauté it over low heat.
- Stir in the cabbage and allow it to sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in chicken bouillon before stirring thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into a 2 ½ quart casserole dish or a small roasting pan.
- Top it with the potatoes and evenly sprinkle on the rice, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the casserole and bake it for 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the cover and bake for another 10 minutes until the rice and potatoes are tender. If the casserole seems dry, gradually add in boiling hot water as needed, then serve.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.