Nutritious and filled with flavor, this creamed carrots recipe is a versatile side dish that could become a new favorite!
Note: this recipe is adapted from one found in The Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. Walker.
- 3 pounds of carrots with the tops removed
- 1 cup of chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tablespoons of softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- Almond slivers (optional)
- Thoroughly wash the carrots and slice them into a saucepan, slicing them into disks about 1/8 inch thick.
- Add in the broth (or the water), cover the saucepan, and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, blend the butter and the flour in a small bowl with a fork, gradually working in the heavy cream to create a thin paste.
- When the carrots have become tender, remove the remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the thin paste, blending well.
- Return the now-creamed carrots to medium heat just it begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with the salt and freshly ground pepper according to preference (and the optional almond slivers), then serve.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.