Perfectly paired with a favorite beverage, this cheese crispies recipe makes a delightful homemade snack!
Note: the original version of this recipe appeared in the December, 2020 edition of Relish.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter that has been softened
- 2 ½ cups of extra-sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of flour
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 ½ cups of crisp rice cereal
- Parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray
- Combine the unsalted butter and the cheddar cheese with a hand mixer until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the cheese mixture until combined.
- Stir in the crisp rice cereal.
- Turn the resulting dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a couple of times until it reaches a stiff consistency.
- Divide it in half and shape it into two rolls that are about 7 inches long each.
- Wrap and refrigerate the rolls for 1 hour, or overnight if preferred.
- Line two baking sheets with bake-safe parchment paper, or spray with the nonstick cooking spray.
- Unwrap the two dough rolls and cut them crosswise into ¼-inch slices.
- Place the slices 1 inch apart and bake them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the cheese crispies from the baking sheets and allow them to cool on wire racks before serving.
Please note that all Fabulous Freelancer posts might contain affiliate links.